Web Exclusive: Braga Hospital
Braga is one of the oldest towns in Portugal, founded more than 2,000 years ago. Located in the country’s northern region, the county of Braga is home to approximately 181,819 and is in the center of the Minho region, which has a population of more than one million. Named European Capital of Youth for 2012 by the European Youth Forum, Braga is full of culture and tradition.
In May 2011, the newly constructed Braga Hospital opened its doors, featuring medical units, research facilities and a teaching university. Balonas & Menano served as the project’s architect, and ThyssenKrupp Elevadores Portugal was awarded the contract to supply the vertical-transportation equipment and provide maintenance for 25 years.
ThyssenKrupp Elevadores provided the following equipment:
- Two Synergy elevators with a rated load of 620 kg, eight-person capacity and rated speed of 1 mps
- Twenty Synergy elevators with a rated load of 1000 kg, eight-person capacity and rated speed of 1 mps
- Two Latitude elevators with a rated load of 900 kg, 12-person capacity and rated speed of 1 mps
- Nine Latitude elevators with a rated load of 1600 kg, 21-person capacity and rated speed of 1 mps
- Monitoring and control system for elevators connected to the hospital exchange
Mafalda Pinto is a project manager for ThyssenKrupp Elevadores S.A. and has served on several major projects. Pinto joined the company in 1998.
Maria Elisa Carvalho is a commercial manager for ThyssenKrupp Elevator. She joined the company in 1993.